The Royal Weekly
October 30, 2023
New Mission Moments Video
Mission Moments videos are about communication and clarity. CVCA President Jason Spodnik discusses affordability and accessibility at CVCA and how that involves the Annual Fund and our amazing community of generosity.
Have you seen the other videos in this series? Check them out on the MY CVCA page.
Be an informed voter on November 7
Invite Friends to Family Preview Nights
If you know someone who may be interested in CVCA, please invite them to one of our upcoming Family Preview Nights on November 1 and 7. These are great opportunities to learn what CVCA is all about! Registration is open for these events at cvcaroyals.org/admissions.
Wednesday Morning Worship – November 1
Students are invited to worship with CVCA staff on select Wednesday mornings throughout the year. Our next Wednesday Morning Worship will be on November 1 at 7:50 a.m. in the Chapel.
Mother and Daughter Coffee – November 2
All CVCA moms and daughters are invited to a special morning of coffee, pastries, and an encouraging word from Tanya James, Director of Women’s Ministries at New Community Bible Fellowship and mom to two CVCA alumni daughters. Register HERE.
Congratulations, Robotics Team
Last weekend, the CVCA Royal Technic Robotics Team competed at Grove City College in the BEST Robotics Hub competition. CVCA students from grades 6-12 competed in various areas of the competition.
- The team built an exhibit, and Alex Cook, Elisabeth Govia, Matthew Kolodey, and Landon Amundsen presented to six judges for two hours, bringing home first place.
- The Marketing Team of Sarah Harner, Cooper Bohrer, Samuel Fawcett, Addison Jenison, Juliette Govia, Daniel Kolodey, Jude Armstrong, and James Thomas (alternates Levi Harpley and Anthony Catalano) presented to a panel of judges and was awarded second place.
- Elisabeth Govia wrote the team’s Engineering Notebook and brought home first place.
- Makenna Linhart led the team in Spirit and Sportsmanship, and together, they received first place.
- The team’s drivers, Alex Cook, Aiden Jenison, Elisabeth Govia, David Wedding, and Jackson Gomez drove with excellence, supported by their spotters, Caroline Govia and Nathan Heidinger, and pit crew Alex Frazier and Evelyn Watson. They received third place in a very tight driving competition.
The team won first place in the BEST Overall Award. They will now begin to prepare for the Denver, Colorado Regional Championships. Congratulations on an excellent win, and best of luck in Denver!
Hearing and Vision Screening – November 10, 13, 14
The Health Clinic will conduct annual ODH-required Hearing and Vision Screenings for grades 7, 9, and 11 starting in November during school hours (dates below). To ensure the most accurate results of testing, we are requesting that students ensure his or her corrective lenses are brought/worn on the day of testing. We have coordinated with the teachers to accommodate screenings during class time. If there are any questions, please feel free to contact the nurse team at email@example.com or 330-929-0575, ext. 216.
- 7th Grade: Monday, November 13; Make-up date Monday, November 27
- 9th Grade: Friday, November 10; Make-up date Friday, December 1
- 11th Grade: Tuesday, November 14; Make-up date Tuesday, November 28
Urban Vision Service Project – November 13-16
CVCA has a long and wonderful tradition of supporting the Urban Vision Christmas Store. Our donations of needed items significantly impact this outreach. Urban Vision helps families in North Akron by providing schoolwork assistance for children, mentoring teens, and, most importantly, sharing the love of Christ. Kids earn “UV Bucks” by participating in Urban Vision programs. The Christmas store is stocked with donated items that the kids can “purchase” with their UV Bucks.
Each CVCA House and middle school grade has been assigned a category of items to choose from. All items can be in the $12.00 range.
- DOUGLAS: Craft Sets (examples: paint sets, playdough, loom bands, shrink art, beads, etc.), Puzzles, Winter Hats/Gloves
- ELLIOT: Board Games, Card Games (examples: Exploding Kittens, Dutch Blitz, etc.), Pokemon Cards, Anime Merchandise, Ninja Turtle, Action Figures/Dolls
- LEWIS: Anime merchandise (t-shirts sizes medium & small), Anime Posters, Pop Fidget Accessories, Notebooks, Journals, School Supplies
- TOZER: Animal Plushies, Stuffed Animals, Hello Kitty Merchandise, Nail Polish/Nail Art, Makeup Items
- Grade 6: Body Wash, Shampoo, Creme Rinse, Body Lotion
- Grade 7: Hair Brush, Hair Clips/Accessories, Children’s Jewelry, Body Spray, Deodorant
- Grade 8: Tooth Brushes, Tooth Paste, Clorox Wipes, Paper Towels
Please bring your unwrapped items between November 13 and 16. Large labeled collection boxes will be available. Points will be counted toward Houses for participation!
Royal Theatre Fall Play – November 15, 17, 18
The Royal Theatre will present The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood by Mary Lynn Dobson on November 15 at 6:30 p.m. and November 17 and 18 at 7:00 p.m. Purchase your tickets HERE.
Wednesday, November 15 is Junior Royals Night with general admission. Doors will open at 6:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online or with check or cash at the door. Junior Royals receive one free admission ticket. Family members pay standard admission. Register your Junior Royals HERE.
Grandparents Days – November 20 and 21
Current CVCA grandparents should have received an invitation to CVCA’s Grandparents Days in their home mailbox. We are excited to host grandparents on the following dates:
- Monday, November 20 (Students with last names A-K)
- Tuesday, November 21 (Students with last names L-Z)
The event will be from 7:30 to 10:00 a.m. each morning. Grandparents can also find the information on CVCA’s NEW Grandparents page on the website at cvcaroyals.org/grandparents.
NOTE: Classes will start at 9:30 a.m. on both days for all students.
Giving Tuesday – Every family. Every gift. Every life changed.
God is working through donor dollars here at CVCA! Giving Tuesday is a specific time to lay our talent and treasure at the foot of the cross in anticipation of how God will use it for His Kingdom.
Tuition covers 90% of the total CVCA experience. The rest – existing in programs like retreats, clubs, Fine Arts, Jterm/Mterm, Athletics, camps, Houses, Schools of Distinction, and more – live in the remaining 10%. It’s a balance of about $1,000 per student, left as a very intentional need.
We want CVCA to be both accessible and excellent, and that can only happen through dependence on God and the way He moves through His people to give. This month, we invite you to come alongside the work God is doing here. Help us make an impact on the hearts and lives of students. Visit cvcaroyals.org/give-now to make a gift. To learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LATE START DAYS
Mark your calendars with these upcoming late start days: November 1, 2, 8, 15, 29. Classes begin at 9:22 a.m. on these days.
On November 20 and 21, classes will begin at 9:30 a.m. due to Grandparents Days. (The school calendar has been updated with these changes.)
MAP GROWTH TESTING – October 25-26
Middle schoolers will participate in fall MAP Growth testing this week in their math, English, and science courses across the block days (Wednesday and Thursday). Though MAP Growth testing is not disruptive to students’ daily schedules, it would be wise for students to get adequate sleep the nights before testing. MAP Growth testing helps our administrators and educators assess students’ learning progress throughout sixth to eighth grade and determine the best next steps to improve and individualize students’ learning.
Well done, Talking Royals!
On Saturday, October 28, the Talking Royals started the season strong at the tournament hosted by Hudson and Stow, winning the first place trophy for small schools! Leading the team were Talie Koch and Donovan Brown, who both went 4-0 in Lincoln-Douglas Debate, and Megan Marshall, who took fifth place in Program Oral Interpretation. Come see the team trophy in Mr. Paisley’s room!
Senior Parents: Reserve your Baby Ad space as soon as possible by providing us with your message and photos. Spaces are limited and will be given on a first-come first-serve basis. Get started HERE.
College Financial Aid Meeting – November 8
CVCA will host a College Financial Aid Informational Meeting on Wednesday, November 8, at 6:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons. We will hear from Pam Pustay, Director of Financial Aid at Malone University.
College Rep Visits & College Fairs
Bring a firm handshake and a smile to meet these Admissions representatives! Stop by the Rasnick Center to learn more about these schools and how they might be a fit for you. Questions? See Mrs. Knapp or Mrs. Fridline in the Guidance Office.
- Pensacola Christian – Pensacola, FL – November 6
- Defiance College – Defiance, OH – November 7, 12:30–2:30 p.m.
Middle School Basketball Tryouts
Middle school basketball tryouts are coming up. Students must be registered in Final Forms to participate.
- 7th & 8th Grade Girls – October 30, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- 7th & 8th Grade Boys November 6, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Boys High School Tennis Meeting – November 7
All high school boys interested in playing tennis in the spring. should attend an information meeting on Tuesday, November 7 at 3:00 p.m. in Room 276. Questions? Contact Coach Ramey at email@example.com.
College Athletics Recruiting Night – November 13
All current high school families are invited to a College Athletics Recruiting Night on November 13, 6:00-7:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons. The evening will include a review of the college recruiting process by Nick Thompson (CVCA Men’s Head Soccer Coach and Advancement Officer) who has ten years of college recruiting experience, and a Q&A time with a panel of students, coaches, and parents on how to navigate the recruiting process. If your child has dreams of playing in college and you’re not quite sure what to do, this would be an excellent event to attend. Register HERE.