The Royal Weekly
October 16, 2023
Invite Friends to Open House
If you know someone who may be interested in CVCA, please invite them to our upcoming Open House on October 20 or Family Preview Nights on November 1 and 7. These are great opportunities to learn what CVCA is all about! Registration is open for these events at cvcaroyals.org/admissions.
Royal Theatre Fall Play Ticket Sales Open Today
The Royal Theatre will present The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood by Mary Lynn Dobson on November 15 at 6:30 p.m. and November 17 and 18 at 7:00 p.m. Purchase your tickets HERE.
Wednesday, November 15 is Junior Royals Night with general admission. Doors will open at 6:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online or with check or cash at the door. Junior Royals receive one free admission ticket. Family members pay standard admission. Register your Junior Royals HERE.
Raising Cane’s Basketball Fundraiser – October 18
The CVCA boys basketball program is holding a fundraiser on October 18 at Raising Cane’s in Cuyahoga Falls. Mention “CVCA Boys Basketball” at the register between 11:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. and Cane’s will donate 15% of sales to the team. The restaurant is located at 200 Howe Avenue, in Cuyahoga Falls 44221.
PIcture Retakes – October 24
Picture Retake Day is Tuesday, October 24. Students who were absent on Picture Day need to have their photo taken even if they are not placing an order.
Royal Evening Conversations Begin!
This year marks the 25th Anniversary celebration of a very special, community-wide event known as The Royal Evening. More than a time of great fun, food, and fellowship, The Royal Evening embodies the culture of generosity that is CVCA. Watch for an email coming this week that invites you to join the conversation!
Service Hours Reminder
Ninth grader Trinity Harpley earned her service hours by building a playground for dogs at a local pet shelter this summer with the help of donations from CVCA students, a local tire company, and a local landscaping company. Service is fun!
As the second quarter begins, we want to remind you that all CVCA students are enrolled in a “Bible Service” class in which their Bible teacher encourages them to volunteer in their communities and churches. Here are some helpful tips for how your student can take advantage of this great opportunity to share the love and care of Christ with others:
- Hours Requirement: 16 total hours – graded at the end of the second semester
- Due Date: May 10 – must be verified through Canvas/Helper Helper
- Grade: Satisfactory (16+ hours) or Unsatisfactory (<16 hours) – appears on transcript, but does not affect GPA.
- Summer Hours: Hours accumulated this past summer may count toward current requirement
- Tracking: Students click on the “Hours” assignment in their Canvas Bible Service Class to track hours. Next, they click “Add past commitment” and send a verification request to their parent or guardian. Cell phones are the quickest way to verify hours.
- Students can enter multiple hours on one date to simplify the process. For example, enter 20 hours on one Sunday if they served multiple times during a month or quarter at the same organization.
Mother and Daughter Coffee – November 2
All CVCA moms and daughters are invited to a special morning of coffee, pastries, a special speaker, and lots of fun. Save the date and watch for more details coming soon! Register HERE.
Exciting Tax Reduction Giving Opportunity
Did you know that you can receive a dollar-for-dollar reduction in your state taxes if you donate to CVCA through a Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO) by April 15, 2024?
- Donations give students needing financial assistance the opportunity to attend CVCA.
- Married couples can donate up to $1,500 and single taxpayers up to $750 per year.
- All Ohio taxpayers can contribute whether or not they have a student attending CVCA. Please share this opportunity with your friends and family.
- Contact CVCA’s Advancement Team at 330-929-0575, ext. 324 if you have questions.
- More information is available on the OCEN Website.
LATE START DAYS
Mark your calendars with these upcoming late start days: October 18 and 25. Classes begin at 9:22 a.m. on these days.
Middle School Computer Science
Students in Middle School Computer Science have been competing in a series of eSports challenges in Minecraft. Challenge #4 required students to create solutions for the real world problem of food waste. Fifteen teams of two to three students had two class periods to build their ideas in Minecraft then present their builds to a panel of classmates and guest judges. Congratulations to the winners for Challenge #4.
- 2nd Period Winners (top photo): “The Crafters” – Vance Hudson, Liam Amundsen, Will Currall
- 4th Period Winners (bottom photo): “Team Manny” – Manny Johnson, Owen Weber, Ethan Ferdig
Two challenges remain as teams compete to become the first ever CVCA Minecraft eSports Grand Champion.
Career Window Guest Speakers
Come hear our guest speakers discuss their unique career paths.
- Emilie Oxley, Executive Director of Refuge Host Homes – Tuesday, October 24, Lunch 5B in the Learning Commons
Seniors and families, watch your inbox for details about how to place your Baby Ads, the well-loved tradition created just to honor and recognize our special Seniors. Get started on your Baby Ad HERE.
College Financial Aid Meeting Moved to November 8
CVCA will host a College Financial Aid Informational Meeting on Wednesday, November 8, at 6:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons. We will hear from Pam Pustay, Director of Financial Aid at Malone University.
This year, the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) will open in December 2023. (In the past, it opened on October 1.) Seniors can apply for financial aid from the colleges they are applying to by completing the Free Application at studentaid.gov. The FAFSA must be completed by both the parent and student, ideally as soon as it opens to maximize eligibility.
College Rep Visits & College Fairs
Bring a firm handshake and a smile to meet these Admissions representatives! Stop by the Rasnick Center to learn more about these schools and how they might be a fit for you. Questions? See Mrs. Knapp or Mrs. Fridline in the Guidance Office.
- Pensacola Christian – Pensacola, FL – November 6
- Defiance College – Defiance, OH – November 7, 12:30–2:30 p.m.
Hockey Open Skate Fundraiser – October 21
The Royals Varsity Hockey team invites you, your friends, and your family to skate with us from 1:00-3:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 21 at the Dan Kostel Recreation Center (5411 Turney Rd, Cleveland 44125). Enjoy ice skating, quality time with friends, concessions, and drinks provided by Shya Coffee. The $5 admission fee (cash only) covers skates and a ticket for the jersey raffle. All proceeds will benefit the Royals Hockey team as they prepare to travel to Canada this season. Hope to see you there!
Middle School Basketball Tryouts
Middle school basketball tryouts are coming up. Students must be registered in Final Forms to participate.
- 6th Grade Girls – October 24, 5:00-6:30 p.m.
- 6th Grade Boys – October 20, 4:00-5:30 p.m. (Fieldhouse) and October 21, 8:30-10:00 a.m. (Gym)
- 7th & 8th Grade Girls – October 30, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- 7th & 8th Grade Boys November 6, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Wrestling Club for Grades K-6
Wrestling is an amazing tool that can be used to help teach young people spiritual truths and life lessons. Following Jesus is at the foundation of everything we do. The unique challenges faced in the sport of wrestling help develop perseverance, work ethic, humility, and self-control. Each week, our wrestlers participate in Quests that help them pursue Discipleship, Service, Evangelism, and Physical Fitness.
- Practices are on Mondays and Thursdays, 6:00-7:30 p.m. in the CVCA Wrestling Room, and will run from October 30 to early February (advanced wrestlers may continue competition through March).
- Ages: Kindergarten through 6th grade
- $125 Club Fee includes team fees, practices, league matches, USA Wrestling membership, and t-shirt.
- Competition: Wrestlers who wish to compete may do so in league matches held on Sundays after church in December and January at Stow High School. Advanced wrestlers have additional opportunities to compete in open, dual, and OAC State qualification tournaments.
College Athletics Recruiting Night – November 13
All current high school families are invited to a College Athletics Recruiting Night on November 13, 6:00-7:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons. The evening will include a review of the college recruiting process by Nick Thompson (CVCA Men’s Head Soccer Coach and Advancement Officer) who has ten years of college recruiting experience, and a Q&A time with a panel of students, coaches, and parents on how to navigate the recruiting process. If your child has dreams of playing in college and you’re not quite sure what to do, this would be an excellent event to attend.