The Royal Weekly
October 3, 2022
New student applications for the 2023-24 school year are now open!
With record high enrollment, make sure to apply EARLY for siblings. Go to cvcaroyals.org/apply Use your existing account by clicking on “Begin Application,” then “Application” from the top bar. Enter your existing username and password, and then click on “Create a New Student Application” to get started.
Please reach out to Elissa Hyatt at email@example.com with any questions.
Parking and traffic changes due to construction
Thank you for your patience during our construction projects! As we get closer to completing the Rasnick Center, we will need to re-route traffic for a few weeks. (Click on image for a larger view.) When entering the school parking lot, all lanes remain open. However, all vehicles exiting the south parking lot from the Middle School Entrance and Fieldhouse area have been re-routed behind the school. This is just a temporary change. Please remember that the Main Entrance of the school is reserved for busses between 7:30 and 7:50 a.m. Thank you for your patience!
Late Start Days – October 5 & 6
Please note that we will have late starts on both Wednesday and Thursday, October 5 and 6. Classes will begin at 9:22 a.m.
Powder Puff Game – October 3
The annual Girls Powder Puff game is tonight, Monday, October 3, at 7:30 p.m. in Royals Stadium. Come join the fun and cheer on our junior and senior girls!
Career Window – October 4
Come hear Jon Emerson ’06, CPA, MBA talk about his work on Tuesday, October 4 in Room 109 during both 5A and 5B lunches.
Jon Emerson works as a Financial Analyst at SPR Therapeutics, a privately held medical device company in Beachwood. In his role, Jon uses financial data to advise the company’s leaders as they make decisions that shape the future of the organization.
Upcoming college Rep Visits
Bring a firm handshake and a smile to meet these Admissions representatives! Stop by the Learning Commons to learn more about these schools and how they might be a fit for you.
Questions? See Mrs. Knapp or Mrs. Fridline in the Guidance Office.
- Ursuline College – October 3, 12:30 p.m.
- Wittenburg University – October 3, 12:30 p.m.
- Valparaiso University – October 4, 9:00 a.m.
- Baldwin Wallace University – October 4, 11:00 a.m.
- Walsh University – October 4, 12:30 p.m.
- Grace College and Theological Seminary – October 11, 12:30 p.m.
- Duquesne University – October 11, 12:30 p.m.
- Otterbein University – October 11, 2:30 p.m.
- John Carroll University – October 13, 10:30 a.m. (Come meet CVCA alum and JCU Rep Grace (Lile) Perella ’15!)
- Indiana Wesleyan – October 13, 10:30 a.m.
- Youngstown State University – October 18, 9:00 a.m.
Congratulations to the following students who have been nominated by their class peers to represent them for Homecoming Court on Friday October 7 at the Homecoming Game.
- Sophomores: Jonathan VanHala and Hallie Hendrickx
- Juniors: Ty Bova and Avery Helwig
- Senior Guys: Andrew Barnhart, Antonio Collins, Killian Deetscreek, Jonathan Fridline, Nich Humphrey, Kyle Snider, Max Winslow
- Senior Girls: Paige Armstrong, Kylie Bettinger, Naomi Bogue, Bree Bolinski, Gia Casalinova, Caroline Gage, Katelyn Harabedian
All students have received an email to vote for Homecoming King and Queen. Students can vote for one senior guy and one senior girl. (Only vote once – multiple ballot votes will not be valid.)
SPIRIT WEEK – OCTOBER 3-7
We are looking forward to Spirit Week! Enjoy this CVCA tradition by participating in our Dress-up Days and Haven of Rest Outreach.
- Monday: Decade Day (Choose your favorite!)
- Tuesday: Texas Tuesday (Western Wear)
- Wednesday: Movie Character Day
- Thursday: Class Color Day (Wear clothing reflecting your class color: 6–Red; 7–Yellow; 8–Turquoise; 9–Orange; 10–Purple; 11– Lime Green; 12– Bright Pink)
- Friday: Royal Spirit Day
We encourage you to be creative and have fun as you prepare to dress up for each day’s theme. As you plan, it is very important for you to follow these guidelines:
- For Texas Tuesday ONLY – Students may wear jeans as long as they are not ripped or torn. Western-style jeans only.
- Students are not permitted to wear spandex shorts or any tight-fitting shorts. Shorts must be loose-fitting basketball, long athletic type shorts and cannot be shorter than two inches above the knee (even if worn with leggings or tights).
- No yoga or spandex pants, tank tops, or low tight-fitting shirts are permitted.
- Vulgar or mean-spirited costumes are not allowed.
- No horror movie character costumes are allowed.
- No jeans are permitted to be worn during Spirit Week.
- Students who dress up and do not follow these guidelines will be asked to change into uniform attire.
- Students not dressing in costume are to wear CVCA spirit wear and uniform khaki or black pants.
Students whose costumes do not comply with attire standards will be sent to the Main Office for the day.
Spirit Week Service Project
Class points will be awarded for participation in donating items to Haven of Rest. Send one of the following items to school any day during Spirit Week. Each grade will have their own bin to put items in during the week. Items will be counted on Friday morning earning points for each class towards the Spirit Stick.
Talking Royals Meeting – October 7
The Talking Royals, CVCA’s competitive speech and debate team, is recruiting high school students. Any students interested in acting, public speaking, or debating contemporary issues will find the Talking Royals rewarding. We compete with students from other area schools at tournaments held throughout the winter. Last year, we sent two students, both novices, to the state tournament. We will hold an informational meeting (with cookies!) during lunch on Friday, October 7. 5A will be in Room 132 and 5B will be in Room 130.
ACT Test Prep Class at CVCA – October 10, 11, 13
Be ready for the upcoming ACT Tests on October 22 and December 10! ACT test preparation is available in October through our test prep partner, PATHworks! The program is $225 and includes three sessions: October 10, 11, 13, 3:15-6:00 p.m. in Room 112.
- First Class: Full practice test and score with feedback
- Second Class: GROUNDWork, English and Math sections
- Third Class: Action Planning, Reading and Science sections
Register HERE. Pre- registration is required. Questions may be directed to the PATHworks! instructor Patricia Smoot-Wicks, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-861-4973.
PSAT TESTING – OCTOBER 12
On Wednesday, October 12, all CVCA 9th, 10th and 11th graders will take the PSAT test, a great practice for the SAT and ACT standardized tests. The PSAT test also carries the potential for scholarship awards for juniors. Please note that 8th grade students will NOT test this day (October 12), as the school calendar originally indicated. All middle school students (grades 6-8) will enjoy a day off of school while students in grades 9-11 are testing. (Seniors will have a class meeting.)
Join us for Art Club
Students of all grades are welcome to enjoy some creative time with CVCA’s Art Club. The group meets on Tuesdays, 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. in Room 136. No registration is necessary, and all materials are provided. If you have questions, see Miss Foti or Mrs. McSparran.
Urban Agriculture Club Meetings
The Urban Agriculture Club meetings have changed. We will meet October 11 & 25 and November 8 & 22 in Room 137 during both lunches.
Ultimate Frisbee changes
Until the weather turns too cold, Ultimate Frisbee will now play on Tuesdays AND Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. on the field in front of the Royals Stadium.
ORDER YOUR DIPLOMA, CAP, AND GOWN BY FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7
Please order your diploma and cap and gown HERE by Friday, October 7. The fee for caps and gowns is included in the senior fees – no additional payment needed. If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
College Application Help
College applications are due November 1! Any seniors needing help filling out college applications are invited to the back table in the Learning Commons during your PRT to receive help from Mrs. Fridline on the following Fridays: October 21 and October 28.
College Financial Aid Meeting – October 10
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) opens October 1. Seniors can apply for financial aid from the colleges they are applying to by completing the Application at fafsa.ed.gov. The FAFSA must be completed by both the parent and student, and ideally during the month of October to maximize eligibility. To help in this process, CVCA will host a College Financial Aid Informational Meeting on Monday, October 10, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Learning Commons. We will hear from Pam Pustay, Director of Financial Aid at Malone University.
Senior Yearbook Baby Ads
It’s time to order Yearbook baby ads for your seniors! The cost begins at $45 per block until November 4. Submissions will be accepted until Monday November 14, but the cost will be raised to $55 per block. Order forms are available HERE.
Football Game Themes
The CVCA Cheer program has announced the football themes for the 2022 season. Royals fans, especially students, are encouraged to participate in each theme night throughout the season. Join the CVCA cheerleaders in making football nights fun for all.
- October 7: vs. Orrville – Pink-Out
- October 14: at Tuslaw – PJs
- October 21: vs. Manchester – Black-Out
Winter Sports Registration
If you are interested in winter sports, make sure you are registered in FinalForms. The season is fast approaching and coaches will use their FinalForms roster for communication. Visit cvca-oh.finalforms.com and check your sports under the “My Students” tab.