The Royal Weekly
November 28, 2022
An Amazing Opportunity to Double your Gift to CVCA Tuition Assistance
Tomorrow is #GivingTuesday! At this time, 100% of your gift to CVCA goes towards tuition assistance. Now, your gift will make an even bigger impact! CVCA has been blessed by a group of friends who have stepped up to provide a $1-for-$1 match for the first $100,000 given on or before November 29! Please join us in meeting this goal. GIVE HERE
NEW STUDENT APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023-24 SCHOOL YEAR ARE NOW OPEN!
With record enrollment and limited availability, make sure to share with your friends that now is the time to apply for next school year. Applications are on our website. Please reach out to Elissa Hyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Career Window Event – November 29
High school students are invited to learn about careers in Electrical Engineering at our next Career Window lunch on Tuesday, November 29. Our guest speaker will be Bruce Chantry, VP of Marketing at Lincoln Electric.
Bruce Chantry has worked at Lincoln Electric for over 27 years. He started his career as a technical sales representative after graduating from the Colorado School of Mines with an Electrical Engineering degree. He has traveled the world with Lincoln Electric and was based in South Africa for six years. Bruce has held a number of product development and business development roles at Lincoln Electric and holds over two dozen patents. Bruce’s current role gives him the opportunity to oversee all traditional aspects of marketing, along with Industry Segments, Motorsports and Education.
Ugly Christmas Sweater Day – December 1
Students are invited to celebrate #GivingTuesday and the generosity of those who donated to CVCA for Tuition Assistance on Thursday, December 1 by wearing their favorite ugly Christmas sweater! Prizes will be given out during lunch periods. Start the month of December by participating in this festive annual tradition at CVCA.
Royal Fools Improv Show – December 2
The first Royal Fools improv show will be on Friday, December 2, at 7:00 p.m. in the Chapel. Join us for a free and fun evening!
Urban Vision Christmas Store Outreach – December 5-8
CVCA has a long and wonderful tradition of supporting the Urban Vision Christmas Store! Each Christmas season, our donations of needed items significantly impact this outreach. Urban Vision (whose founder is a CVCA alum) helps families in the North Akron community by providing schoolwork assistance for children, mentoring teens, and, most importantly, sharing the love of Christ. Kids earn “UV Bucks” throughout the year by participating in Urban Vision programs. The Christmas store is stocked with donated items that the kids can “purchase” with their UV Bucks.
Each CVCA grade has been assigned a category of items to choose from. Each student is asked to donate one item and bring it (unwrapped) to school during the week of December 5.
- 6th Grade: action figure dolls, multi-cultural dolls, Playdough craft sets, crafts of any kind
- 7th Grade: board games, children’s books, art sets, marker sets, paint sets, sketch pads
- 8th Grade: hats, gloves, mittens, socks, lunch boxes – for any age from toddler to teen
- 9th Grade: large bottles of shampoo, cream rinse, body wash, Lysol wipes, toilet paper, paper towels
- 10th Grade: $10 gift card to local fast food, beverage stores, convenience stores, etc.
- 11th Grade: basketballs, soccer balls, footballs, sport toys, plastic sleds
- 12th Grade: Sam’s Club/Costco-size non-perishable food items such as granola bars, popcorn, candy, snacks
Please bring your unwrapped donations between Monday, December 5 and Thursday, December 8. Large collection boxes labeled for each grade will be available in the CVCA Welcome Center area. We will deliver these amazing gifts to Urban Vision on Friday, December 9.
You’re Invited to our Christmas Concerts – December 7 and 9
Join us for our Instrumental Arts Christmas concert on Wednesday, December 7. The Middle School bands will begin at 5:30 p.m., Orchestra at 6:00 p.m., Handbells at 7:00 p.m., and the Royals Band (High School Band) at 8:00 p.m.
Our Choir Christmas Concert will be on Friday, December 9. The concert will begin at 5:30 p.m. with Women’s Chorale, Concert Choir, and Chamber Singers. The second half of the concert will begin at 7:00 p.m. with Middle School Choir, Gospel Choir and High School Show Choir.
DR Trip Meeting – December 8
The next DR Mission Trip meeting will be on Thursday, December 8 at 7:00 p.m. in the Chapel. Bring a parent! This meeting is for all juniors planning to go on the summer 2023 mission trip.
Lunch with the President of Grove City – December 9
Are you interested in Grove City College? Spend your lunch with President McNulty from Grove City College on Friday, December 9 during 5th period in Room 109. Enjoy a Chick-Fil-A lunch and hear all about what Grove City has to offer. You will miss your 5th period class, so registration is required. See Mrs. Fridline to register or if you have any questions.
Choir Christmas Cake Pop Fundraiser – Order by December 9
The CVCA Choirs are selling Christmas cake pops. Three cake pop themes are available in packs of 12 for $30. Order by Friday, December 9. Orders will be delivered to CVCA on Tuesday, December 13. More information and order forms are available HERE.
CVCA Choir Fundraiser: Christmas Light Scavenger Hunt – December 10
Come out to support the CVCA Choirs with this fun family event for the holiday season! Compete against other families/teams as you drive around the local area to find a list of outdoor Christmas decorations. Find the most and return back first to win an amazing trophy! Trophies will be awarded for first, second, and third place!
- December 10, 2022, 6:00 to 8:15 p.m.
- Start at the CVCA Learning Commons
- $20 per car – Supports the CVCA Choirs
- Cookies and refreshments will be provided.
- Bring a pen/pencil and a cell phone (with a camera) or digital camera.
- If you have any questions, please text or call Christina at 330-622-1156.
- There are a limited number of spots, so register early!
- Registration forms are available HERE.
A NEW APPROACH TO SERVICE HOURS
The holidays are a great time to encourage students to find service opportunities. Here’s a glimpse of the approach we have for service hours in Bible classes this school year:
- Hours Requirement: 16 total hours, graded once per year
- Due Date: May 10 at 7:50 a.m. (instead of 8 hours every semester)
- Summer Hours: Yes! Hours from this past summer count toward the requirement.
- Grade: Satisfactory (16+ hours); Unsatisfactory (<16 hours)
- Tracking: All students are enrolled in a Bible Service class in Canvas. They can click on the “Hrs” assignment to log and verify their service hours.
- Tips for success:
- S – Serve at least 16 hours before the May deadline.
- E – Expect delays. It takes up to a day for parents to receive verification requests.
- R – Right contact information (phone numbers and email addresses) work. Wrong ones don’t.
- V – Verify your hours. Make sure your parents got the text or email.
- E – Evaluate if there is a problem with the app. Ask your teachers or parents to check.
Douglass House Service Project – Suited for Hope
Douglass House is doing a service project through Youth for Christ’s ministry in the Juvenile justice system called Suited for Hope. We are collecting dress clothes, toiletries and outer wear for young men who will be released at Christmas time. Students who selected an item to help with this project should bring it to Room 107 any time before December 12. There is a collection bin behind Chrisi Thompson’s desk.
LATE START DAYS
Wednesday Late Starts: November 30 and December 7
Royals Boys BasketbALL TO PLAY IN COLUMBUS – DECEMBER 17
The CVCA Boys Basketball Team will play in the Ohio Play-by-Play Classic at Nationwide Arena in Columbus on Saturday, December 17. CVCA will face off against Lutheran East at 4:00 p.m. Five other high profile games are on the schedule that day. More information about the Ohio PBP Classic can be found HERE.
CVCA has received an allotment of tickets available for purchase. Tickets can be purchased at the CVCA Welcome Center on November 28, 29, or 30. Ticket prices range from $26-$59 and are valid for the entire day. Payments must be CASH or CHECK.