The Office of Academic Success and Instructional Services (OASIS) provides a community that trains and mentors while helping students develop the skills and confidence necessary to achieve not only while at CVCA, but in college and beyond.
OASIS seeks to help students:
- Discover their unique learning styles and needs
- Improve their study or organizational skills
- Increase their academic success
Available to students in all grades, students are assigned to OASIS by the Guidance Office based on academic performance, previous school records, entrance testing, and teacher recommendations. If a student or parent believes that OASIS services would be beneficial, they are encouraged to contact the OASIS office.
Success Lab: Students in our middle school program who demonstrate a need for additional help in adjusting to a middle school environment may be assigned to the Success Lab during their study hall. Those students will receive guidance in organizational skills, study skills development, test taking strategies, and other tools necessary for success in a college preparatory environment.
H-O-P-E: Students who need homework help may stop by our resource room after school on designated days.
The Success Lab is for high school students who need additional support while adjusting to the unique challenges of CVCA’s college-prep curriculum and expectations. Students are prescribed an individualized learning plan and guided by learning coaches.
S-O-S (Study Strategies and Organizational Skills): Students meet individually with a learning coach for help in the following areas:
- Study Skills Development: test preparation, test-taking strategies, learning style assessments, note-taking, and skills to enhance reading and comprehension
- Executive Function Skills Development: Time management, space organization, project and homework planning
- Specialized Student Services: Individualized academic assistance due to special circumstances:
• Medical Issues: Concussions, surgeries, emotional and psychological issues
• Specific Learning Disabilities
• Miscellaneous: Leave of Absences, etc.
Student Success Workshops: In conjunction with the Learning Commons, OASIS offers workshops throughout the year on time management, healthy eating, test taking strategies for college entrance exams, and other subjects that will prove useful in helping students succeed in college.
Naviance: In conjunction with the CVCA Guidance Department, students may receive help with accessing Naviance and utilizing the many college and career readiness tools available to them.