The law (HB 190) does not mandate that volunteers undergo a background check. This decision is left to the individual school. Our policy is as follows:
- Volunteers who have regular, ongoing contact with students will be BCI fingerprinted (drama, volunteering, office, etc.).
- Volunteer chaperones who will have extended contact with students via a single event (Ignition, JumpStart, Pittsburgh Project, Diakanos trip, DR/Haiti trip, Founder’s Week trip, etc.) will be BCI fingerprinted.
- Any volunteers or chaperones (including parents) who are attending a field trip must be BCI fingerprinted on an annual basis.
- Volunteer chaperones at Homecoming and Junior/Senior do not need to be fingerprinted.
- Volunteers must complete background checks through CVCA rather than produce previous background records.
- Fingerprinting and background checks must have been completed and results received prior to any volunteer’s interaction with students.
The administration reserves the right to require any volunteer/chaperone to undergo a background check prior to their involvement at CVCA.