The Royal Weekly
November 21, 2022
An Amazing Opportunity to Double your Gift to CVCA Tuition Assistance
During the month of November we celebrate GivingTuesday as a community. During this time, 100% of your gift goes towards tuition assistance! Now, your gift will make an even bigger impact! CVCA has been blessed again this year by a group of friends who have stepped up to provide a $1-for-$1 match for the first $100,000 given on or before November 29! Please join us in meeting this goal. GIVE HERE
NEW STUDENT APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2023-24 SCHOOL YEAR ARE NOW OPEN!
With record enrollment and limited availability, make sure to share with your friends that now is the time to apply for next school year. Applications are on our website. Please reach out to Elissa Hyatt at email@example.com with any questions.
ski club sign-up – tomorrow deadline
The deadline to register for this year’s Ski and Snowboard Club is tomorrow – Tuesday, November 22. All of the details and prices are HERE. If you would like to join us at Brandywine for a great season of skiing and snowboarding, please register HERE today! If you have questions, please contact Ann Ungrady at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alistair Begg Speaks in Chapel
Last week, Pastor Alistair Begg from Parkside Church spoke in Chapel. Pastor Begg shared a powerful message about Genesis 3:9 and encouraged us to evaluate where we are in our walk with Christ. This Genesis passage is a clear example of God’s kindness and graciousness. Despite Adam’s sin, the Lord still sought after him with grace, never abandoning him – just like He does with us!
A Message from Our Health Clinic Nurses
Thank you for your support during the first half of the school year! We have enjoyed caring for your students. Here are a couple reminders:
- Please check your email (including spam folder) for emails from us (email@example.com). We have sent families emails regarding missing required vaccination records. For those who have responded, we are very appreciative!
- As Flu (and other virus) season arrives, we want your kids to stay healthy, in school, and ready for Christmas Break! Staying hydrated (even with cooler temps), staying active/exercising, getting sufficient rest, and eating nutritious foods are a few ways to help with that. And if your student is sick, please have him/her remain at home. If you have questions about criteria for returning to school from an illness, feel free to email us.
Thank you again for letting us care for your students!
Career Window Event – November 29
High school students are invited to learn about careers in Electrical Engineering at our next Career Window lunch on Tuesday, November 29. Our guest speaker will be Bruce Chantry, VP of Marketing at Lincoln Electric.
Bruce Chantry has worked at Lincoln Electric for over 27 years. He started his career as a technical sales representative after graduating from the Colorado School of Mines with an Electrical Engineering degree. He has traveled the world with Lincoln Electric and was based in South Africa for six years. Bruce has held a number of product development and business development roles at Lincoln Electric and holds over two dozen patents. Bruce’s current role gives him the opportunity to oversee all traditional aspects of marketing, along with Industry Segments, Motorsports and Education.
Ugly Christmas Sweater Day – December 1
Students are invited to celebrate GivingTuesday and the start of the Christmas season on Thursday, December 1 by wearing their favorite ugly Christmas sweater! Prizes will be given out during lunch periods. Start the month of December by participating in this festive annual tradition at CVCA.
Royal Fools Improv Show – December 2
The first Royal Fools improv show will be on Friday, December 2, at 7:00 p.m. in the chapel. Join us for a free and fun evening!
Urban Vision Christmas Store Outreach
CVCA has a long and wonderful tradition of supporting the Urban Vision Christmas Store! Each Christmas season, our donations of needed items significantly impact this outreach. Urban Vision (whose founder is a CVCA alum) helps families in the North Akron community by providing schoolwork assistance for children, mentoring teens, and, most importantly, sharing the love of Christ. Kids earn “UV Bucks” throughout the year by participating in Urban Vision programs. The Christmas store is stocked with donated items that the kids can “purchase” with their UV Bucks.
Each CVCA grade has been assigned a category of items to choose from. Each student is asked to donate one item and bring it (unwrapped) to school during the week of December 5.
- 6th Grade: action figure dolls, multi-cultural dolls, Playdough craft sets, crafts of any kind
- 7th Grade: board games, children’s books, art sets, marker sets, paint sets, sketch pads
- 8th Grade: hats, gloves, mittens, socks, lunch boxes – for any age from toddler to teen
- 9th Grade: large bottles of shampoo, cream rinse, body wash, Lysol wipes, toilet paper, paper towels
- 10th Grade: $10 gift card to local fast food, beverage stores, convenience stores, etc.
- 11th Grade: basketballs, soccer balls, footballs, sport toys, plastic sleds
- 12th Grade: Sam’s Club/Costco-size non-perishable food items such as granola bars, popcorn, candy, snacks
Please bring your unwrapped donations between Monday, December 5 and Thursday, December 8. Large collection boxes labeled for each grade will be available in the CVCA Welcome Center area. We will deliver these amazing gifts to Urban Vision on Friday, December 9.
DR Trip Meeting – December 8
The next DR Mission Trip meeting will be on Thursday, December 8 at 7:00 p.m. in the Chapel. Bring a parent!
A NEW APPROACH TO SERVICE HOURS
The holidays are a great time to encourage students to find service opportunities. Here’s a glimpse of the approach we have for service hours in Bible classes this school year:
- Hours Requirement: 16 total hours, graded once per year
- Due Date: May 10 at 7:50 a.m. (instead of 8 hours every semester)
- Summer Hours: Yes! Hours from this past summer count toward the requirement.
- Grade: Satisfactory (16+ hours); Unsatisfactory (<16 hours)
- Tracking: All students are enrolled in a Bible Service class in Canvas. They can click on the “Hrs” assignment to log and verify their service hours.
- Tips for success:
- S – Serve at least 16 hours before the May deadline.
- E – Expect delays. It takes up to a day for parents to receive verification requests.
- R – Right contact information (phone numbers and email addresses) work. Wrong ones don’t.
- V – Verify your hours. Make sure your parents got the text or email.
- E – Evaluate if there is a problem with the app. Ask your teachers or parents to check.
Douglass House Service Project – Suited for Hope
Douglass House is doing a service project through Youth for Christ’s ministry in the Juvenile justice system called Suited for Hope. We are collecting dress clothes, toiletries and outer wear for young men who will be released at Christmas time. Students who selected an item to help with this project should bring it to Room 107 any time before December 12. There is a collection bin behind Chrisi Thompson’s desk.
Patrick Henry College Summer programs
Registration is now open now for the 2023 PHC Teen Leadership Camps. Patrick Henry is a classical education Christian college outside of Washington D.C. A variety of programs are offered for students potentially interested in law, strategic intelligence, journalism, theater, and more. Spots fill quickly. Camps are open to students ages 14-18.
Study Abroad Opportunities
Applications are now being accepted for the Hillsdale College study abroad program. Students earn three college credits while traveling to cultural and historic destinations. This program is open to rising juniors and seniors. Because courses are limited, applying before December 1 is recommended. Apply at hillsdale.edu/hs-programs.
Urban Agriculture Club Meeting – Tomorrow
The Urban Agriculture Club will meet on Tuesday, November 22 in Room 137 during both lunches.
NOVEMBER LATE START and no-school Days
Late Starts: Wednesdays, November 30
No School: November 23-25 – Thanksgiving Break
Locker Room Cleanout – November 22
All personal items should be removed from CVCA Locker Rooms over Thanksgiving Break. Please be sure to take your things home on or before Tuesday, November 22. Locker Rooms will be cleaned out over break and leftover items will be removed.