The Royal Weekly
JANUARY 30, 2023
Parent Survey Reminder
Parents, you were recently sent our annual Parent Survey to share about your experience at CVCA this year. Your feedback is valuable and extremely important to us. Please take a few minutes to complete the survey by Tuesday, January 31. Thank you!
Check out this week’s new video!
In this second installment of Mission Moments, CVCA President Jason Spodnik talks about school enrollment and size and how our leadership is preparing for optimum missional impact going forward. Take a look HERE!
IT'S TIME TO START PLANNING FOR THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
Guidance counselors will soon be visiting Bible classes to walk students through their course options for next year. Because this process is a partnership between students, their academic counselors, and our parents, we hope you will participate in shaping your student’s course schedule for next year. As a first step, please review the 2023-2024 CVCA Academic Catalog with your student. The Catalog maps out in great detail the learning and professional exploration options available to students at CVCA.
Middle School parents can expect to see an email soon detailing the course selection process for their students.
Invite a friend to FAMILY PREVIEW NIGHT – FEBRUARY 9
Family Preview Night is Thursday, February 9 – invite a friend! Visitors will get a look at our mission and hear our administrators and teachers discuss what makes CVCA unique. With record enrollment and limited availability register HERE today. Questions? Contact Elissa Hyatt at email@example.com.
after school reminder
For the safety of all students, it is critical that families pick up students as close to the 2:50 p.m. dismissal time as possible. If a student does not have an extracurricular practice, club meeting, or rehearsal they need to leave campus. These after-school plans are in place in an effort to provide for the safety of our students and the security of our building.
- Between 2:50 and 3:05 p.m. students are encouraged to transition to their after-school practice or leave campus immediately at 2:50.
- Students are not to return to their lockers after 3:05 p.m.
- In order for thorough cleaning to occur each afternoon, the building needs to be clear of students by 3:05 p.m.
- Students are to remain with their coaches and advisors until picked up by parents.
- All students should be picked up and dropped off at designated areas.
- General supervision will not be provided after 2:50 p.m. Students involved in athletics, fine arts, and other after-school activities are under the supervision of coaches, sponsors, etc.
College and Trade School Reps
Bring a firm handshake and a smile to meet these Admissions representatives! Stop by the Rasnick Center to learn more about these schools and how they might be a fit for you.
- Alma College – January 30, 12:30 p.m.
- Geneva College – March 13, 12:30 p.m.
- Grace College and Seminary – March 13, 12:30 p.m.
Questions? See Mrs. Knapp or Mrs. Fridline in the Guidance Office.
Royal Evening Parent Coffee Break – February 1
Due to last week’s snow day, the Royal Evening Parent Coffee Break has been rescheduled for Wednesday, February 1 at 1:30 p.m. in the CVCA Learning Commons. (Please sign in at the Welcome Center.) This is a great opportunity to learn about the Royal Evening and how you can get involved. If you have any questions, please contact Kristin Nichols at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GIRLS SOCCER MEETING – February 3
Girls in grades 8-11 who are interested in playing soccer for the 2023 season should plan to attend an informational meeting on Friday, February 3 at 3:15 p.m. If you plan to play but cannot make it to the meeting, please email Coach Christine at email@example.com.
Pasta Dinner and Choir Concert Fundraiser – February 4
Enjoy a delicious pasta dinner and concert while supporting our choir program on Saturday, February 4, 4:00-8:00 p.m. in the CVCA Cafeteria.
Junior Royals Hockey Event – February 4
Don’t miss the first annual Junior Royals Hockey Event on Saturday, February 4 at the Dan Kostal Recreation Center. Junior Royals Club members will enjoy a hot chocolate bar, freebies, and an open skate with the Royals hockey team after the game. (Free skate rentals are available.) Registration is limited to the first 50 Junior Royals. REGISTER HERE
Urban Agriculture Club Meeting – February 7
The Urban Agriculture Club will meet on Tuesday, February 7 during both lunches to work on a special mystery project! Club meetings are in Room 137. Come join the fun!
High School Winter Social – February 10
All CVCA students in grades 9-12 are invited to this year’s Winter Social on Friday, February 10, 7:30-10:00 p.m. at Todaro’s Party Center (1820 Akron-Peninsula Rd, Akron). This event is for CVCA students only.
- The evening will include desserts, DJ and dancing, games, prizes, and fun entertainment.
- $Tickets are $15 and will be for sale January 30 through February 3 in the Welcome Center area/Front Entrance (no online ticket sales).
- A printed and parent-signed waiver is required to purchase a ticket. The waiver is available HERE.
- Attire is casual for the event. See dress guidelines in the Parent Waiver.
VALENTINE CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRIES
AVI Food Service is offering chocolate-covered strawberries for Valentine’s Day. Order one or more boxes (four strawberries per box) by Friday, February 11 to ensure delivery by Valentine’s Day. Order forms are available HERE.
CCC Parent Summit – March 4
In partnership with Christ Community Chapel in Hudson, we invite you to the CCC Parent Summit on Saturday, March 4, 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Get more information and REGISTER HERE.
The event is designed to equip parents with gospel-centered truths as they take on the challenges of raising their children in this culture. Each attendee will attend the general session, “Building Your Spiritual Resume,” and two break-out sessions. Session topics to choose from include:
- How to Develop Critical Thinkers in your Middle and High Schoolers
- Private School FAQ’s Answered
- Raising Kids in a Sexually Confused Culture
- Mental Health and Building Resilience in Your Kids
- Raising Financially Literate Kids
- Intentional Grandparenting
- Raising Gospel-Sighted Kid
Royal Evening Class Donations
The Royal Evening has an annual tradition of showcasing grade-level class gifts as packages for the Silent Auction. These baskets are highly popular among bidding guests! You will soon receive an email and Sign Up Genius link from your student’s Class Gift Coordinator regarding the selection of gift baskets you can contribute to. THANK YOU in advance for making the Royal Evening a success to raise funds for student tuition assistance!
- 6th – 8th grade: Gift Card Bonanza – Sheila Swift (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 9th Grade: Kelly Danhauer (email@example.com)
- 10th Grade: Jill Schwarzbeck (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Karen Steigmeier (email@example.com)
- 11th Grade: Kelly Cook (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 12th Grade: Julie Gorsuch (email@example.com)
Meet Our Royal Evening Celebration Box Sponsor
We are pleased to have Hawkins Sales as the Royal Evening Celebration Box sponsor this year. Celebration Boxes are fun favors presented to each guest at the Royal Evening. Hawkins Sales has been serving the Electrical Industry for 39 years and is excited to support CVCA’S Royal Evening! Visit them at hawkinssales.com.
If you would like to learn more about Royal Evening sponsorships, contact Jennifer Meybaum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Royal Evening Student Volunteers
Any high school students interested in volunteering for this year’s Royal Evening event on Saturday, March 11 should complete THIS FORM. If you have questions, please contact Jennifer Meybaum at email@example.com.
Congratulations Talking Royals!
The Talking Royals competed at Norton High School on Saturday, January 28. Leading the team was the duo of Molly Hillyard and Donovan Brown, the tournament champions in Public Forum Debate. Additionally, Avery Langenfeld won an award for being a top novice at the tournament. Next week, the team will compete in the Akron district state qualifying tournament.
Student Service Hours
Don’t let the new deadline for service hours catch your student by surprise! 16 volunteer hours are required and due by May 10 in all Bible classes.
- Do summer hours count? Yes! Volunteer hours from 5/26/2022 through 5/10/2023 are eligible for approval.
- How do students track their service hours? Students use the “Hrs” assignment in their “Bible Service” class in Canvas.
- Who should students list as the “coordinator” on their entries? One parent, with one email address or phone number
- What is the report card grade? Satisfactory (16+ hours) or Unsatisfactory (<16 hours)
- Does it appear on student transcripts? Yes
- Does it affect student GPA? No
- Why have a service requirement? Service hours help fulfill CVCA’s mission to Educate and Cultivate Servants for Christ (Mark 10:45). Students also gain a portfolio of volunteer experiences to use for job and college applications.
- What is my role as a parent?
- Help them with ideas of ways they can serve at your local church and community. Both “ongoing” and “upcoming” opportunities are also posted on the Helper Helper app.
- Respond right away to texts or emails to verify service hours.
- Encourage students to track hours at least once per month.
- Who should I contact with questions? Your student’s Bible teacher or Eileen Hoffman, Service Learning Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
LATE START DAYS and adjusted schedules
- Late Starts: February 1, 2, 8, 15, 22
- No School: February 17 and 20
Middle School Gift Card Bonanza at Royal Evening
Middle School families are invited to contribute to the Royal Evening middle school sponsored Gift Card Bonanza by sending a gift card with their student. The Gift Card Bonanza will be a special area of the Silent Auction in which a person can pull a random gift card from the fun display for a pre-set donation. The best part is that while any guest can participate in this, more funds are being raised for CVCA student tuition assistance! Thank you so much for helping make the Royal Evening a success!
- Cards can be for anywhere – a favorite place you would shop or eat would be great.
- Cards should be new, unused (back not scratched off), and should have the amount written on the back.
- Please place card(s) in an envelope with your family’s name and the student’s grade on the envelope.
- Send card(s) with your student to the Middle School Office and place in the Royal Evening box.
- The deadline to donate is February 10
- There will be a treat for the middle school grade with the highest participation.
- Royal Evening Class Coordinator Sheila Swift, 8th grade mom of Mylie, would be happy to answer your questions. You can call or text her at 440-241-5948.
- For general questions about the Royal Evening, contact Kristin Nichols at email@example.com.
It’s Time to Register for Spring Sports
Now is the time to make sure your student-athlete is registered for spring sports in FinalForms. Visit cvca-oh.finalforms.com to verify your status. Complete all pre-participation requirements prior to the official start of your season. Questions? Contact Ben Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle School Girls Softball
The CVCA softball program is gathering interest in a middle school club team for this spring. The team would be open to 6th, 7th, and 8th-grade girls. If you are interested, please register in FinalForms (cvca-oh.finalforms.com). If you have any questions, contact Coach Jeff Johnson at email@example.com.
High School Boys Lacrosse Meeting – February 9
The High School Boys Lacrosse team will hold their 2023 Parent Meeting on Thursday, February 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the CVCA Cafeteria. Be sure to register for lacrosse in FinalForms to be included in all communication moving forward. Questions? Contact Coach Tod Loxley at firstname.lastname@example.org.