The Royal Weekly
February 5, 2024
consider this opportunity BEFORE you file your tax return
Up to $750 of your Ohio state income tax can be redirected to CVCA – reducing your state taxes by the amount you donate! Or, you can DOUBLE your impact! Up to $1,500 can be redirected if you file a joint tax return with your spouse. When you make a donation to a Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO), it will offset your taxes owed by the amount you donate and directly benefits CVCA scholarships. Watch this quick video to see how easy it really is.
Support CVCA scholarships in a way that costs you nothing. Why wouldn’t you want to do this? Make your donation HERE today!
Last Admissions Event of the Year – February 6
We are receiving more applications than ever before, so if you or someone you know is considering CVCA for their students, start today! Spread the news and invite others to learn more about CVCA at our Family Preview Night on Tuesday, February 6. Register HERE.
Wednesday Morning Worship – February 7
All students are invited to join the CVCA faculty and staff for worship in the Chapel on Wednesday, February 7 at 7:50 a.m.
Ohio EdChoice Update
The Ohio EdChoice (OEC) Scholarship season will begin soon. Please do not submit your income verification to Ohio yet! Submitting your income verification too soon could have a negative impact on your EdChoice Scholarship amount. You will receive an email this week with instructions for the CVCA OEC scholarship renewal process.
Father and Son Breakfast Together – February 8
Our Administration and Student Ministry teams are thrilled to invite our students and their parents to share a special time of connection and breakfast together. The events will be held in the Rasnick Center, 7:30-9:00 a.m. (doors open at 7:15) and cost $5 per person.
- Thursday, February 8 – Fathers and Sons – Register HERE by February 6.
- Thursday, March 7 – Mothers and Daughters – Registration coming soon.
Tickets on Sale Now!
The Royal Evening is the biggest CVCA community-wide celebration, where we come together annually for fun and fellowship to benefit CVCA students. The event supports CVCA’s Annual Fund, which helps bridge the gap between tuition and the cost of providing the CVCA experience.
This night is full of great food, great people, and great entertainment! You’ll also have the opportunity to “shop” some featured businesses in our community at NO COST to you, and bid on a myriad of items and experiences covering a wide array of price points. This event is, first and foremost, a time to celebrate God’s faithfulness to CVCA and recount His blessings to us over the years. We would love to see you there!
Register Early! If you purchase your tickets before February 16, you have a chance to win a famous Royal Evening Cake delivered to your table the night of the event.
Thank you to these Gold Sponsors
We are thrilled to have Akron Smile Complete Health Dentistry for being a Royal Evening Gold Sponsor this year! Akron Smile, a full-service dental practice, uses the best technology to deliver an amazing experience. Learn more at akronsmile.com.
We are thankful that Signs 330 has returned as a Gold Sponsor again this year. Signs 330 is an independent, locally owned and operated sign shop in Munroe Falls. Whatever your sign needs might be, they will provide professional designs and a first rate product. Learn more at signs330.com.
Talking Royals Showcase – February 8
The Inaugural Talking Royals Showcase has been rescheduled for Thursday, February 8, at 6:00 p.m. (Doors open at 5:45.). Come see members of CVCA’s Speech and Debate Team perform their speeches and interpretation pieces, then attend a breakout session where every Talking Royal has the opportunity to perform or debate. The event is free, so invite your family and friends. You can RSVP HERE.
Pasta Dinner and Choir Concert – February 23
Enjoy an evening of good food and good music at the annual CVCA Choir Dinner and Concert on Friday, February 23. Dinner will be held in the Rasnick Center before the concert in the auditorium. Tickets are $9 presale and $10 at the door. Children under 5 are free. Order presale tickets HERE by February 13.
- 5:40 p.m. – Concert Choir
- 6:00 p.m. – Middle School Choir
- 6:20 p.m. – Middle School Women’s Chorale
- 6:40 p.m. – Gospel Choir
- 6:55 p.m. – Chamber Singers
CVCA Summer Camps
CVCA offers summer camps for children ages 7-16. Led by CVCA coaches and athletes, teachers, and Royal Theatre directors and student-actors, campers enjoy learning new skills and making new friends in a Christ-centered environment. Register HERE.
Congratulations, Talking Royals
On Saturday, February 3, the Talking Royals competed in the Akron District State Qualifying Tournament, taking third place in the district. At the end of the tournament, CVCA had 15 qualifiers and 6 alternates:
- Dramatic Interpretation: Clive Horn
- Duo Interpretation: Pairs Quinn and Alex Robinson and Will Cook and Eli Strausser (alternate)
- Humorous Interpretation: Lana Majekodunmi (alternate)
- Program Oral Interpretation: Megan Marshall and Lilly Santuomo
- Original Oratory: Avery Langenfeld, Sarah Choi, and Sarah Harner (alternate)
- International Extemporaneous Speaking: Dominic Catalano (alternate)
- United States Extemporaneous Speaking: Malcolm Brown, Katie Siff, and Nathan Cook
- Congressional Debate: Rachel Weygandt and David Siff
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate: Donovan Brown and Jude Armstrong (alternate)
- Public Forum Debate: the pair of Talie Koch and Anna Trenta
Student Photo Contest
Students at CVCA are invited to participate in the Yearbook Photo Contest. Students can submit up to three photos to email@example.com by February 12 to be considered. Your submission should include the photo taken by you, the title of your photo, and a short artist statement to be published along with your photo. Judges outside of Yearbook will vote to choose winners of the contest. The prize for winning is a feature in the 2024 Yearbook. The submission deadline is February 12.
Service Hours Reality- Check
Have cabin fever? Volunteering is a great way to fight the winter doldrums and help others at the same time! Here is more information to encourage your student in the service hours requirement.
- When is the due date? 16 volunteer hours are due May 10.
- Where do students log their hours? In the “Helper Helper” assignment in their Canvas “Bible class
- Do summer hours count? Anything after May 25, 2023
- Who should they list as the “coordinator” when filling out the verification request online? A parent or guardian
- What type of verification works best for your family (cell or email)? Discuss this with your student. (Note: Cell numbers are the quickest.)
- What if someone serves more than 16 hours? They should log extra hours. It enhances their Helper Helper service portfolio when applying for jobs and college.
- How is it graded? Canvas Gradebook (Verified hours are listed under the “Helper Helper” assignment) and Report Card & Transcript (“satisfactory” (16+ hours) or “unsatisfactory” (less than 16 hours). Note: it does not affect GPA.)
- Where can students find ideas and more info? The “Information” section of their Bible Service class in Canvas
LATE START DAYS and adjusted schedules
- Late Starts: February 7, 8, 14, 21, 28
- No School: February 19
High School Girls Golf Club
Are you interested in learning or improving at golf? Girls in grades 8-11 are invited to develop their skills with a local PGA pro! This CVCA parent-organized girls golf club has four spots open for their winter session. They meet Mondays, 3:45 to 5:30 p.m. at X-Golf in Solon through March 18. Contact Kiesha Chantry for details and pricing at 440-409-5538.
upcoming college fairs
Malone University Rep meetings
Representatives from various departments at Malone University will be here to speak with students in the Rasnick Center from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- February 6 – Nursing Rep
- March 5 – Computer Science Rep
- April 2 – Zoo and Wildlife Biology