Community Read – Tonight!
Please join us tonight from 5:00 to 7:00 in the Learning Commons for a Community Read of the book Hidden Figures. Attendees will enjoy a NASA panel discussion, student art reflective of the book, and an opportunity to buy the book at a discounted rate. We will be joined by the Stow-Munroe Falls Library and Learned Owl bookstore. This is a great opportunity to be part of something important while enjoying a great book for the ages.
5:00-5:30 p.m. – Displays from NASA, Stow-Munroe Falls Library, and the Learned Owl Bookstore; art gallery with student work; jazz music; and refreshments
5:30-6:30 p.m. – Displays from NASA, Hudson Public Library, and the Learned Owl Bookstore; art gallery with student work; and refreshments
Prospective Parent Meeting – Wednesday, April 3
Do you know someone interested in attending CVCA? Invite them to our Middle and High School Prospective Parent Meeting on Wednesday, April 3, 9:00-10:30 a.m. Families will learn about our programs and curriculum, take a campus tour, get their questions answered, and hear from our administration.
Easter Hope Tote Campaign – Wednesday, April 3
Our school-wide goal for this Wednesday, April 3 is to provide 850 care packages for the homeless in Summit County for Easter. If all students in each grade bring in at least one set of their designated items, we will reach our goal. Items for each grade are:
Grade 6: Socks and shoelaces
Grade 7: Unscented lotion and travel Kleenex
Grade 8: Deodorant and lip balm
Grade 9: 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner
Grade 10: Unscented body wash
Grade 11: Disposable razors and shaving cream
Grade 12: Toothbrushes and toothpaste Teachers: brushes and combs
The Bobcats vs. CVCA Tradition Continues – Friday, April 5
Our friends from the Broadmoor School will be here on Friday, April 5 for the annual Bobcats vs. CVCA basketball game. This long-celebrated tradition is a highlight of the year as we gather and cheer on the Bobcats team. T-shirts will be available to purchase at lunch on April 1 for $10 each (checks payable to CVCA or cash). All proceeds go to support the Dominican Republic mission trip.
April Standardized Testing
SAT and ACT ASPIRE: On Tuesday, April 9, students in grades 6-10 will take the ACT Aspire test, and students in grade 11 will take the SAT test.
• Grades 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 – 7:50 a.m. to 2:50 p.m. – Please remember that students must bring their fully charged Chromebooks and power cords to school for testing as this is a computer-based test. Students in grades 6-10 will have a break for lunch. Students may bring lunch or purchase in the Cafeteria.
• Grade 11 – 7:50 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – Students should bring their graphing calculator and #2 sharpened pencils (no mechanical pencils). Students in grade 11 should plan to leave campus after testing if possible. Due to younger grades testing throughout the building, students in grade 11 who stay after the SAT test concludes will not have access to their lockers or the Cafeteria. They will remain in a supervised area where they may quietly sit to read or study for the remainder of the day. Please plan accordingly.
• Grade 12 – No School – Senior Skip Day!
TERRA NOVA: CVCA will give the Terra Nova test on the mornings of April 15-17 to freshmen, sophomores, and some juniors and seniors. Students not testing will have late starts as outlined in the chart below.
• These are important tests. The Terra Nova is one path through which students qualify for a State of Ohio diploma. One subject test will be given each morning.
• After testing, CVCA will run a shortened-period class schedule of all 8 periods each day.
• Students not required to test on a given day have a late start that morning. If such students arrive earlier than their scheduled school start time in the chart below, they will be expected to study quietly in a monitored location (Cafeteria for middle school and the Learning Commons for high school) until their start time to allow for testing to occur in other parts of the building.
Get Your Spring Musical Tickets!
The highly anticipated Spring Musical, NEWSIES, will be here before you know it! The Royal Theatre will present four performances this year: April 26, April 27, May 3, and May 4. Tickets are available at iTickets.com.
Summer Courses at CVCA
Courses for high school credit will be available July 8-26, 2019 in Speech and Debate, Computer Concepts, and Health. The registration cost increases after April 30, so register soon! Learn more and register HERE.
i9 Spring Sports Program at CVCA
i9 Sports will offer a spring sports program at CVCA for children age 3 to 14. Beginning April 14, practices and games will be held each Sunday at CVCA for soccer, flag football, and lacrosse. Parents can register online at i9sports.com or call 330-208-6463. CVCA families get a $15 discount with the promo code “CVCA15.”
Ladies Launch – Wednesday, May 1
Eighth grade girls and their moms are invited to a special evening to commemorate the end of middle school and the beginning of high school. Ladies Launch will take place on Wednesday, May 1 at 6:00 p.m. in the Learning Commons. Come for encouragement and wisdom as you celebrate and prepare for what’s to come. Enjoy a time of fun, worship, refreshments, and a panel discussion with high school students and mentors. Our hope is to both celebrate and introduce you to some resources for the coming years and answer questions to help make the transition a smooth one. RSVP here.
SOBE Business Night – Wednesday, May 8
The 2019 SOBE Marketing Event will be held on May 8. SOBE juniors have partnered with local businesses to design a marketing plan that they hope will increase the awareness and profitability of each business. At this event, the juniors will present to a panel of marketing experts and their local businesses partners for a chance at cash prizes and the title of “Marketing Pitch Champions.” Please join us for this special, public event. RSVP here. Thank you to our local business partners: Akrona Gallery, Classy Cupcakes, Fringe Salon, Garretts Mill Diner, and Wooster Oilers Hockey.
Be Part of the CVCA Gospel Choir
The Gospel Choir class is taking new members in Grades 9-12 for the 2019-2020 school year. We NEED you to take part in singing in the great style of Gospel music to see this vibrant style of worship flourish in our school. No audition is needed for Gospel Choir. Just sign up in the Guidance Office!
Royal Evening Total Given – $176,000
The CVCA community came together in a most amazing way at the Royal Evening on March 16 to not only celebrate God’s faithfulness to the school, but also to give generously so more students can have the opportunity to attend CVCA through financial assistance. We are so thankful to the parents who gave to the grade-level Royal Evening packages, which proved to be show-stopping items in the silent auction. Thank you, also, to the many parents who volunteered, attended, and participated in the Royal Evening. The overflow of giving from everyone’s hearts made it truly a memorable and special gala. THANK YOU!
The Ebenezer Project: Celebrating 50 Years of CVCA
We hope you are enjoying these great stories of God’s faithfulness over the years in the lives of our alumni. A new encouraging video is posted weekly. Be sure to hit subscribe after viewing so you don’t miss a single one! Check out all of the Ebenezer Project videos HERE.