School Counselor – New Student Liaison
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy is seeking a School Counselor – New Student Liaison. This position will provide specialized support for new high school students as they navigate academic, social, and spiritual challenges arising from the adjustment to CVCA’s unique learning community. In addition, this position will fulfill some auxiliary administrative tasks in Guidance, primarily related to student records and transcripts. It reports to the Dean of Academics.
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy is a non-profit ministry that is dedicated to Educating and Cultivating Servants for Christ. We are a middle and senior high school committed to high academic standards. Our biblically-integrated, college-preparatory curriculum is delivered by a dedicated staff of Christian professionals. We are committed to teaching from a biblical worldview and philosophy. We are committed to providing our students with experiences that will foster in them a servant’s heart, including extra-curricular activities, interscholastic athletics, music, theater, short-term mission trips, and numerous service opportunities. CVCA aims to create a Christian school community characterized by transforming relationships that produce a lived-out faith in the lives of our students, our faculty and our staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Helps onboard new ninth through twelfth-grade students to the curricular and cultural expectations of CVCA.
- Creates new academic counseling files for incoming ninth through twelfth-grade students.
- Creates and makes necessary adjustments to new high school students’ academic schedules based on information provided during the admissions process (and in coordination with the Admissions Committee).
- Advises new high school students struggling with challenging academic expectations or relational roadblocks toward peers, coaches, and teachers about how to best adapt, communicate effectively, and take responsibility for one’s choices in each of these contexts on a regular basis.
- Coaches parents of new high school students through basic questions related to CVCA’s academic expectations, dress for school, how to navigate community protocols for communication, travel to school events (sports venues or field trips), and any other relevant questions pertinent to the student’s success as a part of the CVCA community.
- Corresponds with the Director of Academic Support, the Director of Guidance, and the Dean of Academics to best coach new students with exceptional academic, emotional, or behavioral support needs toward holistic success at CVCA.
- Reaches out to follow up with families new to CVCA to ensure a meaningful and positive transition into the CVCA community at the employee’s discretion throughout the school year.
- Prepares students for hand-off from first year with New Student Liaison to standard school or college counselor, following a student’s first full academic year at CVCA.
- Prepares and sends transcripts, among other relevant student records, to schools receiving students withdrawing from CVCA
- Assists the Director of College Counseling (during October) with creating pdfs of senior transcripts and uploading these records to Naviance for each senior at CVCA.
- Assists the Director of College Counseling (during October) with creating pdfs of senior class schedules and uploading these records to Naviance for each senior at CVCA.
- Assists the Director of College Counseling (during October) by inputting senior GPAs and ACT/SAT scores into Naviance.
What we are looking for:
- Proficiently use programs such as FACTS/Renweb and Google Work Apps
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Understanding of CVCA’s and Ohio’s academic expectations for high school students
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
What you need:
- 4-year Bachelor’s Degree Required, Master’s Degree in School Counseling Preferred
- Three (3) years of related experience (preferably in school counseling)
What you can expect:
- A focused effort to impact others and make a difference in their lives for Jesus Christ
- A Christ-honoring and collaborative work environment
- An excellent workplace/facility to work in
- Fair and just compensation
- Generous paid time off benefits
- Health care, school-funded health savings account, vision, dental, life insurance, long-term disability, and 401k plan
How to apply:
Please apply by submitting a cover letter, your resume, and the CVCA Application to HR@cvcaroyals.org.
To complete the Digital Application:
- Open the CVCA Employment Application pdf.
- Complete the Application online.
- Save your changes.
- Download the completed Application to your desktop.
- Email your completed CVCA Employment Application pdf and all other required documents to HR@cvcaroyals.org.
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy, founded in 1968, is a private, college-preparatory, non-denominational Christian middle and high school that seeks to Educate and Cultivate Servants for Christ. Students meet rigorous admissions standards both academically and spiritually. CVCA’s 850 students, of whom 25% represent minority populations, come from a seven-county area. Our facilities include a 177,000-square-foot building with state-of-the-art technology,
7 science labs, 31,000 square-foot fieldhouse and competition gymnasium, a 600-seat chapel/auditorium, and 70 acres of sports facilities, including a turf stadium and all-weather track. CVCA is fully committed to maintaining an ethnically/culturally diverse faculty and student body within a biblical community.